Tuesday 8 November 2011

cluck cluck cluck

After I put the kids on the bus yesterday morning, and I was walking back to the car,
I heard chirping noises from, I thought, the back verandah. I thought there was a trapped bird.
As I got nearer I realised that it was coming from the shed.
So to the shed I went, and as I got nearer it dawned on me!

The white eggs (Anconas) I had left under a clucky hen when we got home from holidays,
had hatched
and one was outside the chookyard.

It had hatched, fallen out of the nesting box and got itself outside the yard.
The other big hens were probably trying to get it.
They can be savage like that sometimes.

So I gathered him up and moved the whole nesting box with chook, about 6 unhatched eggs and another chick into a smaller cage inside the yard.

When I got home from work with the chick raising mix,
both chickies were outside of that smaller cage.
Itty Bitty helped me round them up again.
They need to stay in there or the big chooks will get them!
Although the big chooks did not seem at all interested in them.
Let's hope they survive.
~
In the garden:

These evening primrose have spread and are serving me well.
It has been really hard to grow anything in that clayey spot.
It's on the inside of the Banksia rose hedge, under the Chinese Elms.
I've now put a star jasmine and a pink honeysuckle in as other groundcovers nearby.

Silverbeet/spinach pies for dinner!
Other countries call them swiss chard.

My new snow pear garden beds are going well.
I've got a pink, white and blue theme going on in the ground covers under them.

The David Austins just keep shining through.

I dead head and cut to the second leaf shoots below the flower. What do others do?
I want more and more growth and flowers. Any tricks?


6 comments:

  1. Oh how sweet are the chicks. and your roses look beautiful. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Zara, the chickies are being very spoiled at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the garden is looking fabulous - gorgeous roses - sweetest little chicks hope they make great hens?! sp

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah, I just hope they survive and a big od brown snake doesn't get them. Funny only 2 eggs have hatched in that clutch. The hens are still sitting, though they probably don't need to in this heat. Hubby just said its 38 degrees outside at the moment! At this time of night!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute little chick! I remember when mine were darling like that a few years ago.

    I am the last person to dole out gardening advice - kind of a black thumb!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love David Austin roses but here in Northern California it is still impossible to get more than two bloom periods out of them. Still, they are worth it, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete

Go on....speak up!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...